Over the last couple of years, mobile web usage has skyrocketed and companies can no longer afford to ignore it. In most countries, the shift is brought about by faster mobile broadband connections and cheaper data service. However, a jump has also been seen in developing nations where people have skipped over buying PCs and Macs and gone straight for smartphones and tablets. If you consider entering mobile web, we at Quintagroup provide services to design, develop and implement mobile and responsive Plone-based sites.
Quintagroup has a long history of developing mobile versions of the websites for our clients.Though designing for the Mobile Web follow some of the web design principles, we must consider several notable differences. First, today's mobile device networks don’t run in the same speed as broadband devices. Secondly, we now face innumerable ways a web design is displayed on mobile devices that make even the smallest desktop monitors appear giants. So, to become mobile-friendly your website needs to have a serious makeover:
- A special stylesheet to adjust the CSS for mobile devices should be included.
- Mobile development should be cross-platform.
- Proper navigation and content display are of great importance.
- jQuery mobile
Quintagroup's Plone Google Sitemaps product allows generating Mobile Sitemap for mobile sites. By creating and submitting such Sitemap you will accelerate website indexing by Google.
As a number of web capable devices grows, web design must evolve. Recently, we have approached building websites with Responsive web design. This means that a separate “mobile” site isn’t the only option for ensuring top quality browsing for your potential clients. By creating a flexible layout with fluid grids the responsive website changes depending on screen size, resolution, browser and resizes and repositions the content. It is recommended to have a responsive website based on the Plone CMS 4.x. Furthermore, a lot depends on the way your site is built: a simple site with standard pages, virtually no applications or custom item types can become mobile just with a proper Plone theme. A site with a custom theme, widgets will require a lot of additional development. With responsive web design you'll get one site that renders perfectly on all devices saving your time and money on the development and maintenance expenses.
Quintagroup has developed several mobile websites:
- Responsive Web design and Plone theme: WiKID Systems
- Responsive Website design and Plone theme: Phoenix Investment Adviser LLC
- Responsive Web design and Plone theme: The American School Foundation of Monterrey
- Responsive Website design and Plone theme: AXIS Technology Software, LLC
- Mobile website http://m.policytracker.com for PolicyTracker project - see PolicyTracker project case.
- Demonstration of another mobile website we developed - 4WebResults mobile Plone site on Opera Mini OS on mobile phone Nokia E50.
As the whole world moves to mobile, handheld device support will become grave. Hopefully this article was of interest to you. If you are thinking about creating mobile version of your Plone website - contact us today to have your mobile-friendly website tomorrow.