Mega Drop-Down Menu for Plone website
quintagroup.megamenu package offers fully responsive Mega Drop-Down Menu solution for Plone
This product allows to use panels in portal top of first-level folders as Mega Drop-Down Menu for appropriate navigation tabs. If you want to help your visitors navigate the website, highlight the most important information or simply draw attention to specific content, you can do all this and more using this Plone package.
First of all, pay attention that:
- quintagroup.megamenu depends on collective.panels;
- it is not compatible with any drop-down add-ons (e.g. quintagroup.dropdownmenu). Make sure that packages connected with drop-down menus are not activated before installing quintagroup.megamenu.
To add Mega Drop-Down Menu for your Plone-based website follow the steps:
- Open buildout.cfg file in the root of your instance and add quintagroup.megamenu and collective.panels to the list of eggs.
- Save changes in this file and re-run buildout with the following command in the terminal: ./bin/buildout
- Restart the Zope server, e.g. with the following command in the terminal: ./bin/instance restart
- Go to the Plone Site Setup -> Add-ons, select the two packages (quintagroup.megamenu and collective.panels) among products available for installation and press Activate button.
- Go to the root or first-level folder (News, Events, Members, etc.) you want Mega Drop-Down Menu to be displayed for. Add /@@manage-panels to the folder URL-address or click on the “Manage panels” link in the page footer.
- Insert new panel with “Add panel”. There in “Location” drop-down menu choose “Portal top” and select suitable layout.
- Click “Manage panel” in the portal top and start adding portlets from the drop-down menu.
- Continue to edit panel (layout, number and type of portlets) or add several more panels to the portal top.
- All your customizations will be displayed in the Mega Drop-Down Menu for the folder, when you hover on the folder's navigation tab.
Help your visitors to navigate the website. Shorten the path to useful information. Add navigation portlet to the megamenu, or use Static text portlet to provide links for those content items you see as more valuable.
You can add any of the portlets available in Plone to make your website more animated: custom content in static text portlet, images, RSS feeds or collections with recent updates, calendar with forthcoming events, relevant news and links, etc.
To customize Mega Drop-Down Menu display for your particular website theme and layout you may need to add some CSS styles. For example, make changes in ploneCustom.css via ZMI.
Mega Drop-Down Menu is responsive by out-of-the-box.
Supported Plone versions:
- Plone 4.3
Not compatible with:
Drop-down menu add-ons