Tryton: high-level application platform
Tryton is a robust general purpose application platform usually used as a core base for an Enterprise resource planning (ERP) business solutions. It is written in Python and distributed under the GPL-3 licence. Tryton is cross-platform and supports Linux, OS X, and Windows. Originally Tryton was a fork of the TinyERP 4.2 (later - OpenERP). Being a framework that provides modularity, scalability and security, Tryton can be used as a platform for the development of various other solutions than just business ERPs.
Tryton is three-tier platform, that is client-server architecture in which the user interface, functional process logic, computer data storage and data access are developed and maintained as independent modules. Tryton’s architecture consists of the Tryton client, the Tryton server and the Database management system (mainly PostgreSQL). Both client and server applications are written in Python, though client uses GTK+ as graphical toolkit.
Tryton Core and Modules
Tryton kernel has all the essential technical features for an accomplished application framework that can be used for any purpose. Among such functionalities are:
- users management (features authentication, data access control, user groups, handling of concurrent access of resources);
- workflow engine (allows to activate a workflow on any business model);
- report engine (generates ODT or PDF reports);
- advanced modularity;
- data persistence (easy creation, migration and access to records);
- web services;
- internationalisation (is available in English, French, German, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, and Russian, new translations can be added directly from the client interface).
Tryton supports XML-RPC, JSON-RPC, WebDAV, CalDAV, and CardDAV protocols, as well as PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite databases. Tryton’s modularity brings flexibility and layered approach to the business concepts that influence time efficiency of the project development. Tryton features modules for different business fields that currently involve:
- Sale Management
- Purchase Management
- Analytic Accounting
- Inventory Management
- Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP)
- Project Management
- Lead and Opportunity Management
Tryton is a high-level framework for multi-purpose applications development. It has technical foundations to be platform for Enterprise resource planning (ERP), e-commerce and other business applications. For more information visit tryton.org.