Python at Google
Python is widely used on different environments. Being a highly adaptable programming language, Python allows easy developing and maintaining projects of different complication.
Python has been an important part of Google from the company’s beginning. Python is recognized as an official language at Google, it is one of the key languages at Google today, alongside with C++ and Java. Some of the key Python contributors are Googlers and they continue to use, promote, and support the language actively. Python runs on many Google internal systems and shows up in many of Google APIs. It suits perfectly the engineering process at Google. “Python has been an important part of Google since the beginning, and remains so as the system grows and evolves. Today dozens of Google engineers use Python, and we're looking for more people with skills in this language" (Peter Norvig, director of search quality at Google, Inc.).
Google has a strong relationship with the language itself and the Python software foundation: Google is always sponsoring various Python conferences (PyCon, EuroPython, etc).
So, where exactly is Python used at Google?
- Google App Engine - Python was the language Google App Engine was originally designed for. Google App Engine is an eminent sample of Python-written application, it allows building web applications with Python programming language, using its rich collection of libraries, tools and frameworks.
- YouTube - is a big user of Python, the entire site uses Python for different purposes: view video, control templates for website, administer video, access to canonical data, and many more. Python is everywhere at YouTube.
- code.google.com - main website for Google developers.
- open source libraries:
- Google Data Python Client Library - provides a library and source code that make it easy to access data through Google Data APIs.
- Google APIs Client Library for Python - small, flexible, and powerful Python client library for accessing Google APIs.
- Google AdWords API Python Client Library - makes it easier to write Python clients to programmatically access AdWords accounts.
- and many others
Programmers at Google also use Python for Google build system, many system administration tools (reports generation, log analysis, ...), Google internal packaging format, binary data pusher, code review tool, A/Q and testing, and lots of Google App Engines apps.
Python’s biggest strengths are flexibility, rapid development, scalability and excellent performance. These are the reasons why Python is being so actively used at Google. Please feel free to contact us at anytime to request a quote and learn more about our services.